Are you about to paint stripes, harlequin or chevron patterns? Here are some handy hints for getting a great finish (without FrogTape).
Important things to remember:
- Make sure your base colour is very dry before tackling your masking project. Even better, wait for the curing process for finish.
- Use a low tack tape. Theres nothing worse than pulling the tape off along with several layers of paint.
- Firmly press the edge of the masking tape so its completely adhered along the full length.
- If you are not using FrogTape, use the "Magic Masking Method" below.
- Remove the masking tape when the paint is still a little tacky.
Here's the full method:
- Clean furniture well, removing all traces of dirt, grease, wax and loose particles.
- Pick two colours of Voodoo Molly Vintage Paint.
- Using a paint brush, paint the whole item with the lightest colour, keeping the brush strokes in the direction of the grain.
- Allow paint to dry well between coats and lightly sand each time with sandpaper. This will help prevent the paint from peeling when using the masking tape.
- Use a pencil and ruler to lightly draw your design.
- Use masking tape to mask up your design, gently running your finger nail along the edge to seal it.
- MAGIC MASKING METHOD: Use the same light coloured base coat you already used, to gently paint along each edge of the masking tape. This will allow the paint to seal the edges and avoid the second colour bleeding underneath.
- Paint your darker colour carefully within the masking tape. Repeat as necessary, allowing Vintage Paint to dry well between coats.
- Carefully remove the masking tape before the final coat is fully dry, to avoid peeling or chipping the paint.